Where do you want to be buried?


Ever thought about it?

I lived in Ireton for six years of my life. I lived in Marathon for 27 years. I spent a year in Emmetsburg. I have lived in Albert City, so far, for nine years. So does that make Marathon my home and where I should be buried? Or does it make Albert City my home because that is, most likely, where I will be living when I die? Do you even have to be buried where your "hometown" is?

Questions that most people probably don't think about on a regular basis, if ever. But I am the kind of person who routinely drives and walks through cemeteries. I have a very good understanding and knowledge of both the Marathon and Albert City cemeteries. Dan and I have discussed where we want to be buried...even though I tease him that I am just going to call the rendering truck for him when he dies :) Dan's family are all buried in the Albert City cemetery. My family is more spread out, everywhere from Carmel to Ireton to Orange City. Dan would like both of us to spend eternity in the Albert City cemetery next to his family...his great-grandparents and great-uncles and great-aunts. His father is also in that cemetery, along with his uncle and grandparents, and his mother will be someday...but they are in a different area. The place he wants is with the "old" family and the old headstone...the big one that says Blomgren and dominates that area. His great-uncles and great-aunt bought plots but there are two left...he thinks that is where we should be. I on the other hand am not so crazy about that idea. I have a family too, although none of them buried in this area. But we have children, although I doubt any of them will ever end up buried in this area either. That leads me right back to what Dan wants.

I know where my soul will spend eternity...but where will my earthly remains lie?

date May 6, 2010

1 comments to “Six Feet Under”

  1. The Hohensee's
    May 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks about this! I keep telling Josh we need to buy our plots before all the "good" ones are gone. He just tells me he's not old enough for that, so I tell him if he dies first, I'm going to have him cremated and turned into diamonds (you really can do this)!! :)

Powered by Blogger.